Thursday, October 11, 2007

Sunny


My Chinese name is Xinyu Li. Xin means new, and Yu means sunshine in English, so combine them together is the new sunshine. Isn't it meaningful? This cool name was given by my grandfather. When I came to the United States four years ago, I decided to get a English name, so people could call me in a easy way. So I did. I chose Sunny as my English name. It has the same meaning as my Chinese name. I was satisfied with it. Since I came to a new country, I had to work and study hard. I never gave up and kept overcoming all the obstacles. People could see the confidence in my eyes. I got a mandarin girl friend after about two years. She loved the way I faced things with all my hearts. Everything was over in a sudden. The world had changed. My passion to face everything was getting weaker and weaker day by day. She no longer loved me and went out with other guys. She said I had changed. She said I wasn't the Sunny, who she loved in the beginning. Maybe she was right. I did change. We broke up. The pain was almost more than I could bear. I decided to change my name. I didn't really love the sound of NY in the end of my name. It sounded like a female's mane. I got Philip instead. One of the reasons was it was easy to sign. I can write my name without stop at once. I survived. 2007, I'm philip. I'm back. The picture represents me. I'm the one who is going to shine. Yeah, that's me, coming out from the dark.

1 comment:

Denise said...

This is a great post. It reveals a lot about your identity and your history and attitude. Thanks for sharing.